Our sexuality is an important part of who we are and therefore shouldn’t be neglected. It is very important that we take good care of this wonderful aspect of our health.
Sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise, HIV infections included.
This is surprising because these disease cases were expected to be declining, but what may be the reason? Recent studies suspect fading fears of HIV and poor sexual education may have played a role. We can only curb the incidence of these diseases by our attitude towards our sexual health.
Apart from abstinence which is the most reliable way, adopting safe sexual practices encourages a healthy sexual lifestyle and reduces your risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases. Below are tips on how you could prevent them:
- Sexual Education: You have to arm yourself with basic information about your sexual health especially as it concerns these infections.
- Vaccination: Some of these STDs are preventable through vaccinations. They include hepatitis B and HPV infection (which causes genital warts), both of which could also cause cancers.
- Sexual partners: Avoiding multiple sexual partners and reaching same agreements with your partner are encouraged.
- Condoms: The use of condoms correctly and consistently is very effective in reducing sexually transmitted infections.
- Regular Check-ups: This will help one detect any STD on time and encourage prompt management.