Eye witnesses say the blaze which started at about 1:00 p.m. was caused by an electric iron that had been left unattended to on an apparel being pressed.
Reports disclosed that power supply had been interrupted in the process of ironing and the owner was said to have left without switching off the device.
The heat of the iron ignited the fire, which quickly spread through the apartment, and consequently through the thickly clustered collection of makeshift buildings.
Worshippers at a nearby church were said to have assisted in salvaging the belongings of some residents.
Meanwhile, the fire was put out by the afternoon’s heavy downpour in Port Harcourt, as the Fire Services had been unable to access the area