For over 4000 years, the little delights have been doing their fair share of keeping the body in check. Tiger nuts are also called nutsedge, tiger nutsedge or earth almond. Although they are called nuts, they are not actually nuts but tubers which grow just under the surface of the soil.
Tiger nuts can either be taken in the dry form or wet fresh seeds.
Wet Tiger Nuts
Dry Tiger nuts
For many, tiger nuts are just one more category of nuts you pass by and not give a second thought to, but with the recent craze about eating healthy and exploring every healthy option, you might want to give a thought to tiger nuts.
In many parts of Africa, tiger nuts along with certain other nuts are used to make a drink that is mostly used as an aphrodisiac to induce pleasure amongst married couples.
Here are some other awesome things you get when you eat tiger nuts.
1. Tiger Nut Milk Can Replace Cow Milk For so many people who are lactose intolerant, the joy of taking cow milk is cut short when you remember what will happen afterward. But the good news is, the milk gotten from tiger nuts is as natural as they come and can replace real/cow milk without any of the side effects. This is mostly because it does not contain lactose, rather, it contains plenty of calcium.
2. Tiger Nuts Are Very High In Fibre With the craze about eating healthy and losing weight at it’speak, you might want to try tiger nuts for your weight loss journey. Tiger nuts contain a lot of fibre which is quite helpful in keeping the digestive system stimulated for evacuation whenever it is needed. This, in turn, helps with problems of constipation. It also aids weight loss especially since the fibre found in tiger nuts is superior to those in other weight loss recommended foods such as whole grains. Moreso, fibre enhances satiation which makes a person eat less than they ordinarily would.
3. It Is Rich In Magnesium magnesium is highly vital for the normal functioning of the body, as it is required to carry out more than 300 biochemical reactions in the human body. It also helps with muscle and nerve function and the proper functioning of the immune system. Magnesium also helps to regulate the heartbeat and maintain a healthy blood pressure levels. The magnesium tiger nuts provide enables calcium to fight osteoporosis and tooth decay, it also helps with the daily dose of energy in the body and works with protein in the body to build and develop muscles. Moreover, Magnesium helps care for the kidney, caters to menstrual cramps in women and aids PH balance to avoid infections.
4. It Helps Control Blood Pressure Another wonderful health benefit of tiger nuts is that the nuts are high in amino acids, especially one called arginine, which has been shown to be beneficial to those suffering from high blood pressure. Arginine keeps the blood vessels wide enough to allow the normal flow of blood.
5. Tiger Nuts Are Rich In Vitamins C and E Tiger nuts provide vitamin e to the body which helps protect the body from damages and guards against radical diseases such as cancer, coronary diseases and initial signs of the aging process.
6. It Aids Digestion Tiger nuts help to deal with issues that concern the digestive system. They alleviate issues like stomach cramps, irritable bowels, and other stomach issues. They are also used in traditional medicine for curing diarrhea and flatulence. Moreover, they are also quite helpful in treating dysentery and indigestion.
7. It Makes The Skin Glow The high content of Vitamin E in tiger nuts is just what you need for a healthy glowing skin. Vitamin E prevents wrinkles and premature aging, it keeps the skin glowing and forever young.
8. It Prevents Cancer Vitamin E also contains unique antioxidant properties which protect the body from free radicals which are the molecules with unshared electron. Unshared electron interacts with oxygen to create reactive oxygen species which is damaging to the body. Vitamin E also protects the body by stopping the development of reactive oxygen species. Research has proven that vitamin E has colorectal cancer prevention properties.
9. It Helps Control Diabetes The high non-soluble fiber contents of the Tigernuts helps diabetics to regulate the sugar levels in their blood. Recent studies have demonstrated that fiber doesn’t elevate the sugar levels in the blood as the carbohydrates does.
10. It Works as a Prebiotic While tiger nuts help fight bad bacteria in your body, they also assist your digestive tract by acting as a resistant starch prebiotic. Prebiotics function by serving as energy sources for the positive gut bacteria that keep your entire digestive system running smoothly. Because a rapid shift in gut microflora can temporarily upset your stomach, it’s a good idea to introduce resistant starch prebiotics into your diet gradually. This can help you avoid any temporary gas or bloating you could experience otherwise. Eaten in good, healthy doses, tiger nuts have also been known to relieve flatulence and diarrhea, so you shouldn’t be too worried about brief bloating.
How To Make Tiger Nut Milk Now you know what Tiger nut is and the benefits it offers.
One cup of tiger nuts (soaked for 24-48 hours)
A glass of water Cinnamon Honey Directions Soak the tiger nuts in a bowl of water and cover the bowl with a cloth.
Let it hydrate for 1-2 days. Wash and put nuts in a blender.
Add the spices and the sweetener of your choice to the blender.
Blend the nuts well until the mixture becomes thick and smooth. Now sieve the tiger nut milk into a serving glass.