Black or African velvet tamarind is a seasonal fruit commonly grown in West African. To some, it is licky-licky, Awin, Icheku or Tsamiyar kurm but in all, this fruit has amazing benefits to the health than its sweet taste. An orange pulp with the velvet shell which has a sweet and tangy taste and lots of health benefits.
Here are some diseases Black velvet can cure:
1. Malaria: According to research, the leaf extract inhibits the growth of plasmodium falciparum which causes malaria therefore, taking a decoction can cure malaria.
2. Treats Ulcer and Prevents Hypertension: The leaf extract of velvet tamarind has the ability to increase gastric mucus secretion. Therefore, a decoction of the leave can be a remedy for gastric ulcer. The leafs are also highly diuretic-promotes the production of urine, making it easier for the heart to pump blood hence, reducing the risk of hypertension.
3. Anti-inflammatory and Anti-microbial Properties: The fruit pulp contains abundant vitamin C which fights against microbial infections. The stem bark has the ability to reduce inflammation in bronchial tubes that arises due to bronchitis.
4. Improves Oral hygiene and cures Tooth ache: The stem used as chewing stick (indigenous tooth brush) contains saponin which adds cleaning effect to the teeth and at the same time removes plaques and caries on the teeth of users. The stem bark decoction is also used to treat.
5. Reliefs Menstrual Cramp and stops Diarrhoea: The stem bark extract has significant analgesic property hence, can be used to reduce menstrual pain. You can take it along with papaya leaf, salt and water to work effectively. It can also stop diarrhea.
6. Jaundice and Diabetes Management: A decoction of velvet tamarind leafs is used in preparing medicinal solution for curing jaundice. It also lowers blood sugar and increases insulin sensitivity hence, can be used to treat diabetes.
7. Hemorrhoids (pile): Piles are swollen veins in the an*l canal caused by too much pressure in the pelvic and rectal areas and while not life threatening, these veins can be very painful. A study performed on ethanolic leaves extract of velvet tamarind showed it to be beneficial for pile treatment.
8. Improves lactation and checks private part infections: A review of several studies has concluded that chewing the fruit pulp increase secretion of milk as well as check infections.