On July 29th, Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State experienced the cold hands of death as a whole family were wiped out due to inhalation of generator fumes.
According to a source from the community, it was learnt on Thursday that a family of three, involving a husband, his wife and his child died in Emeyal community in Ogbia, after inhaling fumes from a generator. Their corpses were reportedly discovered three days after following an “offensive odour” that emanated from their decomposing bodies.
The community source continued, “The entire family slept on Sunday. There was no sign of them till Wednesday afternoon when we started perceiving foul odour from their house.”
“The odour was saturating the entire neighbourhood and it got us curious.”
“The family always kept to themselves and that was why nobody discovered their condition on time. Toxic gas from a generator killed them. They must have inhaled it over night. We called the police.”
Confirming the incident, Mr. Asinim Butswat, the Police Public Relations Officer, Bayelsa State Command, the bodies of the family identified as Ibieneye Tubotamuno were discovered on July 29 around 3:50pm when the police responded to a distress call from the community.
In his words: “On July 29, 2015 at about 1550hrs, policemen responded to a distress call, that a foul smell was oozing out of the house of one Ibieneye Tubotamuno, at Emeyal Community, in Ogbia LGA.”
“The policemen forced the house open and discovered the dead bodies of Ibieneye Tubotamuno, male, 34; Jennifer Asiagbuladia, female, 30 and Goodluck Tubotamuno, boy, eight years.”
“Preliminary investigation revealed, that the deceased must have died about three days back, when they were last seen, as a result of inhaled fumes from a generator exhaust, which was kept inside their living room.”
“Corpses have been deposited at the Federal Medical Centre, Mortuary, Yenagoa, for autopsy. Investigation is ongoing.”