French police have named two brothers as suspects in the attack on the Paris offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, as a manhunt continues. They issued photos of Cherif and Said Kouachi, said to be “armed and dangerous.” A third suspect reportedly surrendered. France is holding a day of mourning for the 12 people killed in the attack. A minute’s silence will be observed at midday across the country and the bells of Notre Dame in the capital will toll. Security forces carried out a major search operation in the eastern city of Reims overnight but no arrests were made. Police cordoned off a block of flats and forensic teams could be seen inside. Vigils have been held in Paris and in cities across the world in tribute to those killed in Wednesday’s attack. Many carried placards reading “Je suis Charlie”(I am Charlie) in solidarity with victims. French media, citing police documents, initially named a third suspect as Hamyd Mourad, 18. However, it was later reported that Mr Mourad had handed himself in to police after seeing his name circulating on social media. Officials then issued photographs of the Kouachi brothers and said arrest warrants had been issued for them.
French President François Hollande said the country’s tradition of free speech had been attacked and called on all French people to stand together. In a sombre television address late on Wednesday, he said: “Today, the French Republic as a whole was the target.” The attack was swiftly condemned by world leaders with US President Barack Obama offering to help France track down those responsible. Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Sunni Islam’s leading center of learning, called the attack “criminal” and said ‘Islam denounces any violence.” The Arab League also condemned the attacks. Pope Francis called it “abominable.” French media have named three cartoonist killed as Cabu, Tignous and Wolinski, as well as Charlie Hebdo contributor and French economist Bernard Maris.